"If you take your Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain, soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone. My bible is the wind and the rain."

Friday, February 5, 2010

Personal Argument Essay

Protecting My Piglets

           As a mother of two boys I have had to make a decision, along with my husband, about vaccinating our two boys against the novel H1N1 virus. This was not an easy choice for me. I knew the vaccine could be painful for my boys and possibly harmful. My children have already received their seasonal flu vaccination this year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or CDC has been clear that the seasonal vaccine will not protect against the novel H1N1 influenza (CDC). I wanted to be sure the benefits of the vaccination outweighed the risks.

           One of my main concerns is the fast pace at which that the vaccine has been tested and produced. Can it really be ready for distribution this quickly? Is that not what the long extensive testing is for? Is the new vaccine safe? Some have questioned the safety of the vaccine because of the rush that was placed on the vaccination's creation and testing. The CDC has stated, in a recent webcast, that the novel H1N1 vaccination has not only been produced safely, but also had additional testing just to be sure it was safe. The novel H1N1 vaccine has been manufactured in the same way as the seasonal influenza vaccination that our country has been using for decades. The FDA still ran clinical testing, however, to guarantee no additional side-effects would arise (CDC).

           I also considered the possibly harmful additives that are used to preserve the vaccination. These chemicals can vary by manufacturer.However, some common ones are mercury and formaldehyde. Both of these substances are in extremely low quantities just as in the seasonal vaccination I currently give my children. I have not seen any adverse affects from the seasonal vaccination so I do not expect to see any effect from the novel H1N1 vaccination. I do still worry, however, as my children take more and more vaccinations if these small amounts could possibly add up enough to be an issue. For example, the CDC is recommending both the seasonal flu shot, the novel H1N1 (possibly two doses), and even in some cases the bacterial pneumonia vaccine, because a large number of the investigated deaths from the novel H1N1 virus have also found traces of bacterial pneumonia (CDC). Now add on top of these three (possibly four) shots and any other vaccinations the children are due for during their visit I must ask myself: could I possibly poison them?

           I also took into account my children's chances of contracting the novel H1N1 virus, and if the vaccination would be less of a risk than serious complications from the virus. According to the CDC the largest age group currently affected by the virus is people ages five to twenty-four. This age range accounts for fifty percent of the current reports. My husband and I are both above this range and both of our children are below. My husband and I both work from home so we have no concern about work environment and the children do not attend school. So there should be less of an immediate risk for them contracting the virus. My children are also both healthy with no known underlying issues which should also help reduce their risks of any extreme outcome if they were to contract the novel H1N1 virus.

           What other methods could I use to help protect against the novel H1N1 virus? The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services has suggested the following everyday steps to protect your health:

           •Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
           •Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
           •Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
           •Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
           •Stay home if you are sick until at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever (100°F or 37.8°C) or signs of a fever (without the use of a fever-reducing medicine, such as Tylenol®). Read detailed information about how long to stay away from others.
           •Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds and other social distancing measures (HHS).

           Presented with the current facts and my previous experience with the seasonal vaccination, I do believe my husband and I will vaccinate our children. I do not believe we will rush to be in the first rounds. I do not feel we are in a high risk situation. The limited supplies should go to those truly in need. This will also allow time to verify that there are no added side effects the clinical trials failed to represent. This will make the decision an even safer one for my children. In the mean time we will continue to practice good habits like washing our hands often and avoiding close contact during the flu season.

Works Cited

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). “2009 H1N1 Influenza Vaccine Inactiveated Fact Sheet”:n pag. Web 5 Oct. 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-inact-h1n1.pdf .
           “Webcast: Sebelius, Napolitano Answer H1N1 Flu Questions from the American People” :n pag. Web 5 Oct. 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/webcast.htm .
           “Interim guidance for use of 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine during novel influenza A (H1N1) outbreak”:n pag. Web 5 Oct. 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/ppsv_h1n1.htm .

U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) “Prevention & Treatment”:n pag, Web 5 Oct. 2009. http://www.flu.gov/individualfamily/prevention/index.html .

No comments:

Post a Comment